Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Holbrook, AZ to Gallup, NM

88 miles, 5:10 riding, 1,894' climbing, 4,419 Calories
And NO FL*TS!

Last night, after my three f-words, Fred handed me a set of tire liners and said, "put these in your tires!" I graciously accepted, pulled both tires off the bicycle, inserted the liners, and put the wheels back on the bike. No fl*ts today! During the ride, I pulled three pieces of wire out of the tires that would have caused catastrophic deflation at the most importune times on the road without the liners. Fred saved my bacon today. Thanks Fred!

BTW, Fred is 67 years young and a damned strong rider. Normally a mild mannered banker from Indiana, he's one of the first people to sign in at the end of the day; he's one of the thoroughbreds.

Today's ride was from Holbrook to Gallup, New Mexico, along Interstate 40. We essentially climbed all day, although the gradient was never steep. As we neared the New Mexico state line, the topography changed from flat, high desert to red cliffs and colorful canyons. The picture above is Window rock.

Riders of the day: Karen and Hank are both from Sacramento, CA. They did not know each other before signing up for this trip even though they are both members of the Sacramento Wheelmen. Karen runs a Physical Therapy office and is a PT Asst. Hank is 73 years young, having worked for years in the plumbing supply industry - he still consults in the field. Hank is one of my "heroes." At one point, he was leading a pace line of younger riders and soon left them all in the dust. I don't know what he had for breakfast, but I should have had some, too.

6 comments:

  1. That is the most beautiful scenery - it makes me want to take a road trip. In a car. With air conditioning. And a CD player. And a cooler.
    When you get ready to go through Ohio, let me know the route - my friend Amy and her dog Izzy live in Yellow Springs, and they may drive down to see you all ride by.
    L,P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your having a good time and the scenery is improving too! I'm going to have dinner with your wife and Judy this evening. Take care.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. try riding slower so that you can see the road wire on the ground.

    use bigger tires with slime in the tubes. Have Performance Bicycle FEDEX the slime tubes to you in Grants, NM.

    Ride more state hwys if you can

    if you go over Ronton Pass becarefull of the black ice going into Trindad,CO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet plenty of the crowd looks up to you as you do to others! I know we do. Hats off to you on this great adventure. We're drafting along with you in our armchairs! Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam, can Kali and I join you? Definitely makes me think I need a road trip to see the beautiful back country! Glad the fl*ats are lessening!! WOOO HOOOO.... ride like the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you missed our earthquakes - they were cool.

    v.

    ReplyDelete