Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cottonwood to Flagstaff, AZ

47 miles, 3:54 hours riding, 4,380 feet of climbing, and 3,287 Calories burned.

Please note the 4,380 feet of climbing! Flagstaff is 7,000 feet above sea level and we spent all day accumulating each foot of elevation. The most difficult climb was 2.2 miles of up to 8% grade to the first, and only, SAG of the day. But, it was a GREAT…no, make that FANTASTIC DAY!

We rode through picturesque Sedona and then up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff. It was a glorious day, with blue skies, puffy white clouds, cool in the canyon during the morning and very comfortable on the high plateau leading into town.

Sedona is famous for its red rocks, scenic views, spiritual flavor, and is considered to be an important nexus of the universe. I stopped to get my fortune told ("you will go far"), do a little aroma therapy (eucalyptus oil), and sit in a pyramid (to focus the universal energy). They didn't have a pyramid big enough for my bicycle, which could use some energy).

Actually, as those of you who know me have guessed, I didn't really stop, but I thought about it!

Rick, is one of the CrossRoads' staff. Normally, a mild mannered pharmacist in a small Texas town, Rick is CR's mechanic who often rides "sweep" to pick up the last riders. Today, he charged ahead to time trial up the switchbacks at the head of Oak Creek Canyon. Chris and I chased him, but neither of us could get close; both Chris and Rick beat me to the top. We had lunch together in Flagstaff before checking into the hotel.

Tomorrow is our first "rest day." I'm not sure what I will do. There's always laundry. Maybe I'll go for a bike ride. J

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You were reading my mind! I was actually wondering what you would do tomorrow and the thought crossed my mind: go for a bike ride! My other thought was that you could fly home and go diving with us.....not gonna happen. Have a good day of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy rest day!
    We will also be taking a rest day - no show tomorrow (did well today, though - Emma won both her classes, Piper stayed home). Do some laundry, take in the scenery, etc. Love the photos - Arizona looks gorgeous.
    -P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you're off the bike for the day, but it's my day to ride in your honor - for the first time in many years, I'm going to tackle Hawthorne from PV Drive up to Silver Spur. Figure if I don't make it, Deb or my mother-in-law Jo will take me in for emergency care!

    So proud of you - Cam, Dad and I are following closely! Love and tailwinds, B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim...thanks for being so diligent keeping up your blog. It is FANtastic following along. All of the scenery is really making me want a vacation in the Southwest. The girls say hello, we have visited Deborah many times this week...the front gardens are looking good, she is hard at work!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike and I are so enjoying your daily blogs. As usual, your pictures and details of your Big Ride can't be topped. We're so inspired, we looked at bikes yesterday. No purchases, but we did look... :-)

    How do you get replacements flat tires? Do you call for a car to bring the tools you need? How does this happen?

    Pam, you and your "team" are doing great. Keep on truck'in.

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please say hi to Rick from Martin the recumbent rider from 07. He is a really positive force on the ride.
    Keep the comments coming.

    ReplyDelete