Monday, May 18, 2009

Flagstaff to Holbrook, AZ

95 miles, 5:00 hours riding, 1,056 feet of ascent, 4,915 Calories.
THREE FL*TS!!!

"Get your kicks on Route 66."

Although Interstate 40 isn't the prettiest highway, it is way better than I-10 in California . Unfortunately, there aren't any alternatives between Flagstaff and Holbrook, but we did get to ride a little on Historic Route 66 in Winslow.

Remember the song?

"Take It Easy" - The Eagles

Well, I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load
I've got seven women on my mind,
Four that wanna own me, Two that wanna stone me,
One says she's a friend of mine ...

Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me ..."

I didn't see any girls in flatbed Fords, but I did get my picture taken.

The Wigwam Motel, the Jackrabbit Trading Post, and a couple of abandoned gas stations are still here! We made good time, despite my three flats (damned steel belted radials, anyway). A couple of miles from the hotel, Rich took off like a rabbit trying to beat his best time for a century ride (yes, 95 miles counts as a century by the US Cycling Federation, so it's official). He made it!

Rider of the day:

Big Al (63) from Michigan, a runner turned cyclist. Al is a world-class orienteering racer (look it up); you get a map and have to run through the woods, checking in at designated sites. So, he's as crazy as the rest of us. He joined the thoroughbreds today, finishing strong with Jack W.

4 comments:

  1. Day 6 of the BBT-SCCT (Beach Bike Trek in Support of the Cross-Country Trek).

    No saddle time today. Had a little "issue" with the domestiques (aka ill-mannered Collies). Turns out Domestique 1 (D1) will do anything in her power to keep the yellow jersey away from Domestique 2 (D2). Case in point. During our warm up sprints, the two were playing cat and mouse, when suddenly D1 slammed into D2, who promptly did an Abdou, ate straw, and slapped her melon on the tarmac. It was ugly. I've put her on the juice, and we'll see if she's up for a climb tomorrow.

    Arizona looks lovely - love the photos. Can't believe you actually got to stand on a corner in Winslow, Arizona...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following you everyday. Mapquest sometimes doesn't plot the right course but by and large its pretty good. I hope you're having a great time.

    g

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, my mom & dad had an impala like that! those fins!

    thanks for the lyrics jim - now i have the song stuck in my head but that is a good thing - love the eagles

    happy trails!

    v.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're missing elections, earthquakes and all the other spring So Cal nonsense.... free as a bird with the Eagles running through your heaad. Sounds great to me.

    Road my bike to weight watchers today - many of them had never seen one, so I was an immediate distraction.

    Do listen to the Navajo radio stations some while you're there - love the clicking language interrupted by English words that don't translate well.

    Enjoy AZ, B

    ReplyDelete