Saturday, May 9, 2009

D-day minus one

Less than twenty-four hours to go before we depart for Boston!

Deborah dropped me off at the hotel this morning, with my bike and two crossroads bags. I checked into my room and took my bike to the meeting room for inspection. No problems encountered with the bike - they installed a flag with my name on it. The flag will take some getting used to - I can't just throw my leg over the bar without getting the flag's pole stuck between my legs! It does make everyone easy to spot and identify on the road.

Yesterday, I rode to the hotel and met Jack, Bob, Tom, and Nancy for a ride up the coast to Santa Monica. Everyone wanted to see the infamous Venice Beach strand, with its street people. Before cell phones, this was a great place to hear people talking to themselves...common now. Southern California delived a beautiful sunny day for the out-of-towners. Normally, gloomy in May and June, yesterday was cloudless and warm.

This afternoon, we all gather for our initial briefing and tonight we dine together. Breakfast is at 5:30 am tomorrow morning before a scheduled 7:00 am departure for the Manhattan Beach Pier. Once there, some people will ceremoniously dip their rear wheels in the ocean (NOT MY WHEEL!). Lots of photo ops and then we are off, up a short hill and over the horizon...

1 comment:

  1. It was great to meet everyone at the pier and watch you all set out on your journey. Good luck and best wishes for a safe and wonderful ride!
    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete