Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Blythe, CA to Wickenburg, AZ

116 miles, 7:20 riding time, 5,774 Calories, 2580 feet of ascent
TWO FL*TS!!!!

Today was a very, very long day. After riding a century yesterday, we topped that with another century plus, today. We got back on I-10 for the crossing of the Colorado River into Arizona. Each of us has been given a small vial of California beach sand to sprinkle on the state lines; this is supposed to appease the wind fairies, assuring favorable winds on our rides. Not one to tempt fate, I dutifully poured a small portion of my sand on the Arizona state sign. We'll see if the fairies like our offerings.

The first 36 miles were on I-10, with two long climbs. We finally got off the interstate and took Route 60E through a picturesque desert. Saguaro cactus stood guard by the roadside as we climbed through the low hills, through Brenda, Salome, and Wendon (very small, very isolated little towns). At the SAG (stands for "support and gear") stop, I checked my tires and found a small piece of wire sticking out of the side wall; my first fl*t (we do not use the f-word). The SAG stop was a fortunate place to change the tube - I had shade and access to one of CR's floor pumps. Out of the stop and we started on a long, long, straight road; and I do mean long and straight.

At about the ninety mile mark, my back was beginning to ache. With another twenty-five miles to go, Peter took over and pulled Rich and me into Wickenburg. It was on this stretch that I had my second fl*t! We replaced the tube by the side of the road and rolled down into Wickenburg for the night. I have to say that Peter and Rich were real godsends; their moral support helped me enormously. Thanks, guys!

Rich was very excited - he never thought he would ever be able to do two century rides back to back - he did it with style!

Enough for tonight for tomorrow we climb!

4 comments:

  1. Jim, you have to introduce the cast of characters. Who are Peter and Rich?
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two fl*ts? Bummer - but now that you have those out of will cross your path!
    Good luck on the climb - if Lance can do it, so can you...
    Love, P
    P.S. Day three of my attempt to ride in support of your cross-country trek. Made it four blocks before fatigue and dehydration set in. Had to make a SAG stop at home. Tomorrow, will attempt the 190th hill in honor of your climbing day. Will keep you posted. Must rest now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim. thanks for your wonderful posts. I am following the trip so that when I join up with the group I will feel the pain, the honor, the trials, the excitment and maybe recognize some of the people. If you could, tell one and all that I am in back of their efforts....probably literally. Joining you in Champaign. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray says you gotta be nuts!

    v.

    ReplyDelete