Sunday, June 21, 2009

Canandaigua to Syracuse, New York

69 miles, 4:02 riding time, 2,509 feet climbing, 3,597 Calories

I've got a mule and her name is Sal
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal
She's a good old worker and a good old pal
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal

We haul'd some barges in our day
Filled with lumber, coal, and hay
We know every inch of the way
From Albany to Buffalo

Low bridge, everybody down
Low bridge, yeah we're coming to a town
And you'll always know your neighbor
And you'll always know your pal
If ya ever navigated on the Erie Canal

It's Father's Day! It's also Willie's birthday - Happy B'day, Willie!

How do you like my new bike…er, trike?

When I went in search of my morning coffee, they had the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun" playing in the reception area. Unfortunately, the weatherman didn't share Paul, John, Ringo, and George's sentiments.

It was drizzling when we left the hotel and it continued to rain for about an hour before stopping. We didn't have the gully washer rain we had the previous day, but the roads were wet and messy. There were periods of sprinkles and dry spells for the rest of the ride to Syracuse. More fl*ts today, but none for me. For some reason, people get more flats when it rains. Either we don't see debris in the rain, or the rain washes glass and wire onto the roadway.

Big Al and I burned up the road getting to the SAG stop, wanting to minimize our exposure to any possible rain. We slowed a little after that and caught up with Chris who had a mechanical problem. The three of us rode into the hotel together.

This part of New York is beautiful, with gently rolling hills, farm buildings, old barns, and tidy towns. We rode through Waterloo, birthplace of Memorial Day in 1866, and Seneca Falls, the home of Amelia Bloomer, suffragette. The highlight of the day, for me anyway, was crossing the Erie Canal!

We have now ridden more than three thousand miles across the U.S. Not much further to go before we are in Boston.

4 comments:

  1. I was born near Syracuse in a town called Cortland, NY!! I still have relatives in the area. I can't believe how far you've traveled in the last week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog and a couple of others from my temporary quarters in Columbus...I must admit to a bit of a pang when I saw the 3000 mile photo...But I am doing my best to enjoy the ride vicariously and will be with you in spirit in Boston..May the winds be fair and may you all see a bit of the the sun as you go into the final week. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Jim, Go Jim, Go Jim...just a few more miles to go!!!!

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to not be here for your triumphant return, but Dad and I are off to the UK, so we'll congratulate you on our return in July. What a wonderful adventure, if a big soggy, you have had! Be safe, Barb, Cam and Deco

    ReplyDelete