Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Abilene, Kansas - rest day

"Abilene, Abilene
Prettiest town I ever seen.
Folks down there don't treat you mean
In Abilene, my Abilene."

It's strange, not putting on my bicycle togs and getting ready to ride. Since our last rest day in Santa Fe, we've ridden nine days straight and the routine has become, well, routine.

5:15 AM - get out of bed (no alarm needed, I'm too excited to sleep)
shave, brush teeth, etc.
5:30 AM - slather sun screen on all exposed body parts, don cycling clothes
5:45 AM - go in search of coffee
6:00 AM - breakfast (usually at the hotel)
7:00 AM - pack bags and take them to the lobby
take bicycle to the lobby
7:15 AM - sign out and start riding
?:?? PM - arrive at destination hotel, sign in,
find Dairy Queen or equivalent for chocolate milkshake
5:45 PM - route rap
6:00 PM - dinner
8:30 PM - bedtime

Repeat the next day…

In fact, this morning, I donned my cycling clothes and took a leisurely ride through Ablilene. I visited the Eisenhower center (very moving) and rode through the older residential area admiring the the grand old ladies. I found one that Deborah would like, a 4BR/2B Victorian built in 1890; it's listed for…are you ready for this…$270K. In Los Angeles, that would be a down payment. No, Deborah, I didn't make an offer. I returned to the hotel just as it began to rain.

"Every gun made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed…This is not a way of life at all…Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron." Dwight D. Eisenhower, "The Chance for Peace" address, Washington, DC, April 16, 1953.

3 comments:

  1. REALLY enjoying your blog! Still wishing I was there, but commuting to work has taken the edge off. The hustle and bustle of work seems to be going on all around me and I continue to keep the relaxed way of life that I picked up on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspirational words by Eisenhower - a nice reminder of what we have fought for. Wish I could visit the center.

    I have asked the members of the Beach Bike Trek to provide their own inspirational thoughts. Here is what they have provided:

    Domestique 1: I am surrounded by fools. Surely there is a better life for me somewhere else.

    Domestique 2: I love everyone! I am so happy to be alive! Was that the refrigerator door opening? Oh yay!!!!!

    Fourth Rider: Something bad is going to happen. Soon. I just know it. I'm very worried.

    K-Dog: I'm so glad I joined this group! I can't wait to go out again! And I'm so pretty, too - life is very, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim,
    The radio today announced a new website for local cyclist to post their dangerous potholes, favorite intersections or safety hazards: www.bikewise.com.
    Not sure it'll help you out there, but maybe when you return! We miss you, B

    ReplyDelete