Monday, May 11, 2009

Riverside to Indio, CA

Miles 85
Feet climbed 2435
Calories 4,440
Riding time 4:48

It was cool and overcast when we left Riverside this morning. Right out of the hotel, we started off with a hill climb. It didn't take too long to get out in the country for the first time - wheat fields and cows. I'm still amazed at how much development has taken place in SoCal over the past thirty years. It was nice to be away from the traffic and stop signs. A second, longer climb was followed by what I can only describe as cyclists' heaven - downhill with a tail wind! For many miles, I was sailing along at thirty plus miles per hour without pedaling. The winds in the pass on the way to Palm Springs were perfect, not too strong and not gusting. By the time I got to Palm Springs, the temperature had reached 98 degrees. I have no previous experience in riding in the heat - it wasn't that bad. I just drank lots of fluids and kept going.

Upon reaching the hotel in Indio, I immediately went into the local, fast-food joint and ordered the biggest chocolate shake they sell. Yummy. My bike computer says I burned 4,440 Calories today, so it's OK.

Tomorrow is the big desert crossing into Blythe and our first century ride of the trip. It's going to be one-hundred degrees plus. Wish me well.

Today's pictures are ones Margaret took of the group and me on the pier in Manhattan Beach.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, so in honor of your cross-country trek, I decided to go for my own bike ride this morning. After locating my bike under a pile of boxes and tools in the garage, and dusting it off, and putting air in the tires, I set off. At about block 4, my legs began to feel sort of rubbery. By block 6, my lungs began to burn, and by around block 12, I suffered what can only be described as an out-of-body experience. I heard voices, and then realized it was MY voice, chanting "must go back, must go back" over and over again.
    I will soldier on with another ride tomorrow as part of my ongoing mission to support the group, but all I can say is, you people are insane.
    -P
    May tomorrow be all downhill - safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jim,

    I know you'd like to go downhill but there's the little issue of Chiracao(sp) Pass.

    God Speed

    George

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Dad Go!!!!

    XXO Tom and Neayka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim!!!! I am late to the party, and was actually down at he Pier on Sunday for a swim, thought I saw S. Webb and was wondering what he was doing there. Would have loved to see you off.

    WIll be following the exploits of my new cycling hero every day!

    Chris Menjou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim,

    We freewheeled through the Palm Springs wind farm area at 40+ last year. Some of our riders were blown off the road. We also saw DOT trucks snow-plowing sand dunes off the highway.

    Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable journey,

    Iowa Bob
    XC08

    ReplyDelete
  6. "When the going gets tough, the tough pull over and have a cookie." Be careful, have fun --- looking forward to your next post.

    Deb (who is sitting on a big comfy desk chair, but alas doing nothin' fun.

    ReplyDelete